Pages

Cleaning Out the Pantry Series: Chicken Corn Soup or Sup Bap



Just this year, I’ve started to notice the effect that my stuff, all the material objects that I own, has on me. When my room is messy, I get irritable and stressed out. But when it is neat and my surfaces are all clear, I breathe easy.

I wanted to know why this was the case so I started to read up on this thing called minimalism. I know the word conjures up images of emptiness – of white surfaces with no character or substance, but it’s actually more about finding a balance. In today’s society, at least where I live, we’re actually more likely to have too much stuff than not enough. I think that this article by The Minimalists explains what minimalism is very well and Into Mind has some practical steps to live a more simple life. To sum it up in one sentence, "Minimalism is a tool used to rid yourself of life’s excess in favor of focusing on what’s important so you can find happiness, fulfillment, and freedom" (The Minimalists).

My simple aim with minimalism is this: to spend less time on my physical belongings, the buying, the sorting, the organising and (almost constant) cleaning, to make more time for things I value the most; my family, friends and loved ones. Besides, isn’t it better to spend my hard earned money on experiences with memories that will last a lifetime than objects that will wear out in 1 or 2 years?

I hope to write more about minimalism in the future but for now let’s start with the kitchen. With limited pantry space, my aim is to clear out the things we don’t use on a regular basis and keep the pantry stocked with just the essentials. Things that I don’t use very often should be kept within a small bucket and not overflow (like it is now). First up: two cans of creamed corn that needed to be used up.

I usually make this for Ash when he’s sick. It’s also super comforting for me because my mum used to make it for me as a kid, and it’s nice and simple to make as well.

Recipe for Chicken Corn Soup (Sup Bap)
1 chicken breast
1 can creamed corn
1 can corn kernels
2 tbsp corn starch or tapioca starch, mixed with 2 tbsp water
1 egg, beaten

1. In a medium saucepan, cover the chicken breast with water. Add 1 tsp salt and bring the water to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes – 1hour

2. Remove the chicken breast onto a chopping board. Add the cream corn, corn kernels and cornstarch mixture to the water. Stir in the beaten egg and bring to the boil.

3. Cut up the chicken breast into small pieces and return to the soup.

You can serve the soup with bread or enjoy simply with some freshly cracked pepper.

What is your go to soup recipe?
Thanks so much for reading,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment