Pages

On 8 years together

I sit on the floor in our living room, my legs straight on top of our fluffy rug in the empty space where a coffee table should go. I lean my back on the couch and behind me you are searching for a golf themed present. The balcony door is wide open and a cool breeze filters through along with the last rays of sunlight for the day. A cricket game hums on TV in the background.

We have just had a quiet night in. I picked up some things from the supermarket on the way home. You cooked and did the dishes and I took the rubbish down and made us cups of sleepy time tea. Our conversations about the big picture run along the same highways that they used to, except now our plans and dreams together seem close enough to touch, our futures almost certain to be entwined. We talk about our days apart at work, about babies and moving houses, about plans for a weekend filled typically with friends and food and festivities.

I ask you what I can do to be a better wife. What would make your life easier or happier? You gently advise me to discard my tea leaves after use. And for you? Nothing, you’re the perfect husband. Nothing would make me happier than I am right now. A cheesy response perhaps, and maybe it is one that will change with the path of time or the fickleness of my emotions. But right now, you are everything that I need, everything that I want, and I thank you for creating a place that I belong.

I try to reflect on the past, all of our trials and triumphs. I try to condense all of our moments and emotions into a few succinct thoughts or feelings. But maybe that isn’t the point. Thinking about where we are now, how we can make today and tomorrow better than before, that might be how we can keep our romance alive. I know that it isn’t all sweet peas and tulips and lilies. There will be thorns. I also know that this newly married bubble will wear away with age but I hope that we will both make a sincere effort to keep the laughs and smiles going.


Thank you for everything up till now, my love. Here’s to many, many more years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment