Pages

Red Velvet Cupcakes: Yes



When I was a kid, a lot of things terrified me. Roller coasters were a no go, meeting new people broke me out in a cold sweat and the thought of going to youth group every Sunday brought me to tears.  Trying new things (besides food) moving schools and the simple act of saying “yes” was a challenge. At parties, if someone offered me a drink, I’d say "no" simply to end the conversation as quickly as possible to avoid further possible embarrassment.


As I grew older, some of my fears lost their edge. I learnt how to be around new people, I got used to going to youth group, even looked forward to it (when I developed a crush on Ash) and I started accepting drinks from strangers, in safe environments of course. I’m not sure what changed. I guess you just get used to different people, and in my experience most people are too worried about themselves to really care what you do.



I’ve also learnt that saying “yes” leads to new and exciting experiences, while saying “no” doesn’t lead to much at all. I know it’s a really simple lesson but it has taken me a few years to figure it out.


Anyway, Merv and I made these cupcakes the other week and they were delicious. It was Merv’s first attempt at cupcakes and I think they were a really great start because there is no complicated creaming of butter required. If you’ve made muffins before, you’ll be able to make these.



I know it’s different to my usual style, but we made them from the recipe here. I’m off to have dinner with the crew. Will have a proper recipe next week! Promise.


Keep saying yes to new experiences!
From Jen.
PS. Roller coasters still scare the skittles out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment